Future Predictions For Digital Audio
According to AdWeek audio will play a prominent role in the future of digital media consumption. So why is Digital Audio so hot? Consider these trends to keep an eye on in 2019 . . .
- Streaming now accounts for 54% of all audio consumed in the US. The artists and songs played via stream are the same as what’s played on broadcast radio or downloads, but this internet-based distribution platform enables more listening occasions than ever.
- Smart Devices are now a mainstay in all our homes. Many of these devices (especially voice-enabled smartspeakers like Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod), have become the go-to portals for in-home audio consumption.
- Connected Car ownership is hitting the high speed lane. Today’s in-dash consoles are 4G (and soon to be 5G!) connected. Once the majority of us have a connected car in our driveways we’ll start to see a mass migration of in-vehicle audio consumption from broadcast radio to streaming.
- Podcasting will do to the spoken word genre what streamers like Pandora and Spotify have done to the music side of audio. Today there are over 550,000 English-language podcasts, and almost half of Americans listen to at least one streamed podcast per month. I smell a tipping point coming.
- Data is the common denominator which will drive Digital Audio as an advertising channel. All the above ways to listen to streamed audio require user registration – which means a data gold mine for marketers. Being able to “buy audio digitally” is the ultimate game-changer for this media channel, which will drive growth in the space during 2019 and for years to come.
Feels like we’re in store for a big year – fasten your seat belts!